Encounters At Sea
Certificate of Merit
ELECTRICAL SHORT CIRCUIT LEADING TO FIRE IN THE GALLEY
in one of my previous ships, there was a galley fire. It happened at port at around 6 pm. Immediately fire alarm was raised and engine control room was informed. Galley power was put off from ECR. Emergency fire fighting party and backup arty mustered immediately. Emergency party started the fire fighting and backup party started boundary cooling actually it was electrical fire due to sort circuit. By using CO2 and DCP fire extinguishers, fire became under control within 15 minutes. There were no causalities except damage of some galley equipments.
Company was informed subsequently, and port authorities also were informed. Next day workshop came on board and they started removing the damaged equipments. New equipments were sent on board and reinstallation work finished with in two days and galley became operational.
Name of ship : M.T. Nand Prakriti
Port : Cochin
Date : 12-03-1997