Encounters At Sea
Certificate of Merit
FIRE IN CONTAINER
On board a container vessel at Colombo, while the containers were being loaded one of the containers stuffed with organic dye-intermediate compound stored in jerry cans caught fire.
The toxic fumes produced were sucked into the accommodation space by the accommodation blower intakes. Fire alarm was raised and ship staff was ordered to leave the ship by the master.
Fire was fought by the port fire brigade, the container removed and also other containers carrying the same cargo removed prior sailing out.
Cause of fire: Cargo cans were leaking in the container which was not watertight. Water permeated in and set off a chemical reaction which led to the fire.