Encounters At Sea
Certificate of Merit
IMPROPER ADHERENCE TO FUEL OIL TEST ANALYSIS REPORT AND GUIDANCE
Name: Sabharish G.M.
Student ID: 60114 Rank: IV th Engineer
Fuel Oil Bunker – High Silica & Alumina Content
High silica & alumina content in HFO bunker caused seizure of ICU (Injection Control Unit) and erosion in fuel P/P parts (Engine – wartsila RT – flex Engine) & results in replacement of five units ICU.
Corrective Action/ Lesson to be Learnt:
• Bunker Sample – Analysis report should be followed immediately, should be considered important.
• Bunker sample report with any remark should be followed as per the fuel quality.
• In the above case, high silica & alumina content
1. 2 purifiers should be running continuously(parallel)
2. Frequent draining of settling & service tanks
3. Purifier performance should be checked (less flow rate)
Ship bunkered HFO in Houston port, bunker samples were sent to Lab for testing, but the sample report was not followed properly. After changing over bunker tank to newly bunkered fuel oil, ships fuel oil system filters stated to clogg. After few hours, M/E fuel S/M (ICU – Injection Control Unit) and fuel pump had a serious problem of seizure and erosion.
ICU for 5 Units of M/E got completely damaged and need to be replaced.